Thursday, November 24, 2011

Dry Bones



         I was reading from Ezekiel, "The hand of the Lord was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones.  He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry.  He asked me, ‘Son of man, can these bones live?’  I said, ‘O Sovereign Lord, you alone know.’"
I thought to myself that if the Lord had asked me that question I would have replied, "Are you nuts?   Of course not!"
I realize that this is meant as a symbolic story to help visualize a lesson that God was teaching Ezekiel.  I can easily accept the story of dry bones coming to life as an allegory but not as a true event.
Strange thing is, there was a show on the Discovery Channel about "gene hunters".  These guys are trying to piece together the genome of saber-tooth tigers to be implanted in modern day lion or tiger.  Another set of scientists is working on recreating mammoths.
Hmmm!  ‘Son of man, can these bones live?’

No comments:

Post a Comment